Thursday, April 18, 2013

Meg vs. The Kitchen: My first sushi!

It is a bit shameful that I haven't posted for so long. I have been busy, and I should have some project updates for anyone who cares to see them.

It is also a bit shameful that I am half Japanese and it took me 29 1/2 years to try out sushi-making. For some reason, making a roll seemed really daunting in my mind, but it was fun and not really hard at all! 

Truth be told, I was totally spoiled, because my mom has been trying to help me meet all of my 30x30 goals, and so she got everything ready for me when I visited home last weekend. She is a pro.


What you need:

  • Rice 
  • Sushi seasoning mix (or seasoned rice vinegar, or rice vinegar + salt + sugar)
  • Nori (seaweed) sheets
  • Filling of choice (we used avocado, cucumber, and tamagoyaki, which is a type of layered omelette)
  • A sushi mat (I wrapped ours in plastic cling wrap to make clean-up easier)

First you add the sushi seasoning to your rice. Next, lay your nori on the sushi mat, cover about 2/3 of it with rice (leaving the last 1/3 plain), put your filling items in the middle of the rice, and then use the mat to roll and compress until you end up with something like this:


Then use a sharp knife (we didn't have a sharp one, so it took forever to cut them without squishing them) to cut into slices, and you're done!


I may or may not have polished them all off that night. If you'd like more and better instructions/recipes, I recently stumbled upon this blog and she has lots of good stuff. Here is a link to her sushi recipes =).

No comments:

Post a Comment