Sunday, February 19, 2012

Meg vs. Myself: time for goals!

This week I have been inspired by a couple of friends of mine who started a new blog to keep themselves accountable and sharing their creations at everythingforthelove.wordpress.com.

It has been a while since I started this blog, and I have actually been pretty consistent about doing something around the house every day, but it's time to really commit to getting done what needs to be done around here. I feel like I was good at being disciplined in school or sports or church assignments or activities, but now that I am home most of the time, I haven't been good at carrying that over. It is too easy to procrastinate when I don't have a deadline.

So I have decided that I need to threaten myself with public humiliation (well, public meaning the 5 people who read this blog, two of them being my husband and myself) by posting weekly goals for my work on the house. Theoretically, I should complete this task and keep the kitchen clean and the rest of the house decent (i.e. I wouldn't be humiliated if, say, my in-laws showed up unexpectedly. Right now I would be humiliated), and maybe even make a decent dinner. I am also hoping to post a daily picture of my progress. We shall see how I do.

On to the goals for this week:

February 20-25
Monday:  Put the bed together in the boys' room.

Tuesday:  Paint the hall closet.

Wednesday:  Trim bushes in the front yard. Start cutting up the giant branch I hacked down on a whim.

Thursday:  Re-pot fruit trees left by the previous owners.

Friday:  Put shelves back in the hall closet, put things away inside.

Saturday:   Buy plywood for the missing panel in the garage, nail it up. Buy a ladder.

I think I'll give myself permission to switch days if I feel like doing a different project on a given day. For now I'll be pleased if I at least start the project, even if I don't finish it.

1 comment: