After dinner tonight we got down to business. We cleaned out the mess,
Took out the fixtures (gross!),
Ripped down cheap vinyl lining,
and removed old, improperly-installed green board to find the disaster hidden underneath.
The wall with the plumbing is still untouched because we have to find the local shutoff valve. We think it is under the house, but it isn't accessible from the crawl space in our room, so tomorrow John is going through the much smaller crawl space that lets in from the toy room. My hero.
This is quickly (but I suppose not surprisingly) turning from our re-tile the bath project to our re-model the bathroom project. Let's hope it looks okay when we are through!